- Serve as the Vice-Chairman of the Education Committee
- Serve on the Judiciary Committee
- Serve on the Appropriations and Revenue Budget Review Subcommittee for Post-Secondary Education
- Serve on the Special Subcommittee on Energy
- Serve as the Vice Chairman of the Economic Development & Tourism Committee
- Appointed by the Speaker to represent the House on the Kentucky Leads the Nation Round Table
Elected to the Paducah City Commission in 2006, 2008, and 2010
- Appointed to Paducah/McCracken County Joint Sewer Agency
- Appointed to Brooks Stadium Commission Board
- Appointed to the E-911 Board
Elected to the Reidland High School Site Based Decision Making Council in 2010
Served three terms. Elected in 2006, 2008 and 2010.
Never voted to raise taxes!
I voted AGAINST the 33 1\3% permanent increase in the payroll tax.
I voted to CUT City Property taxes by almost 10% in Sept., 2007. The lowest rate in over 30 years.
My compromise and leadership helped to land the 2 + 2 Murray State University Regional Campus in Paducah. We now have a 4 year University presence in Paducah to accompany the University of Kentucky’s College of Engineering. I think this is the most important development for Paducah in the last 50 years.
I took a leadership role and voted 100% for economic incentives to bring in new industry and expand existing businesses to create and retain jobs for the people of Paducah and McCracken County. During my tenure on the Paducah City Commission we created and\or retained over 1100 jobs with a total investment of over $ 94 million in our community.
Since getting elected 3rd District State Representative, I have supported state incentives and local efforts that have helped create or retain 922 jobs and $782.7 million in private investment for Paducah and McCracken County. All these have been announced but not all have been hired yet.
I served on the Community Scholarship Board of Directors for 2 years. With minimal requirements all students graduating from any high school, including private and home schools, in McCracken County can attend WKCTC free of charge for the first two years of college.
I served on the Paducah/McCracken County Poverty Task Force. The effort is to give those living below the poverty level a chance to climb the ladder of economic success by providing skills, training, education and opportunities.
I believe the highest priority of government at all 3 levels is the safety and security of our citizenry. The Paducah Police Department and the Paducah Fire Department were always my highest concerns. Right after that were providing economic opportunities and additional educational opportunities for our citizens.
I led the effort to make sure that the floodwall downtown was not cut down nor the riverfront between Broadway and Kentucky Avenue was ever closed to sightseeing traffic.
The City purchased the Executive Inn for $1.8 million in 2009. The note owed by the owner at the time on the Executive Inn was $3.8 million and the owner had paid $5.8 million for it in 2006. The Commission paid $226,214 to tear it down. This is considerable less than what Owensboro paid for their Executive Inn. As a result, we now have a Holiday Inn being built on that spot that will create new jobs and provide $18 million in investment for our community. This will revitalize our downtown and bring in more business and job opportunities for Paducah.
I recruited and voted to hire the first female police chief for the Paducah Police Department.
I voted to hire the first female firefighters for the Paducah Fire Department.
I initiated the idea and efforts for the Ice Skating Rink for Paducah. We had 19,000 ice skaters the first year.
I proposed and led the effort to secure a $1 million grant for one new elevator and to renovate the other two elevators for the approximately 300 senior and disabled residents at the Jackson House. They are now operational.
I led the effort to change the name from the Holiday Parade to the Christmas Parade for Paducah.
1972 Graduate of Paducah Tilghman High School
1980 Associate of Arts Degree: Paducah Community College
1981 Bachelor of Science Degree: Murray State University
- Major: Business Administration
- Minor: Political Science
- Graduated top 15% of my class
- Member of Gamma Beta Phi and Pi Sigma Alpha National Honor Societies
1984 M.B.A. (Masters of Business Administration Degree) Murray State University
24 Graduate Hours above the Masters Degree (12 in Economics and 12 in Political Science)
Inducted into Paducah Tilghman High School Hall of Fame in 2013
1990 to Present: Professor of Political Science (West Kentucky Community and Technical College, formerly Paducah Community College). (WKCTC was selected one of the top 3 community colleges in America.)
- Elected by vote of the 7,500 plus student body “Teacher of the Year” 4 times
- Coordinator of the Real Estate Degree Program 1991 – Dec. 2007
- 1999 to Mar. 31, 2007: Licensed Realtor with Century 21 Service Realty, Inc. (part-time)
- 1985 to 2004 (Full Time 1985 to 1990): Karate Instructor/Business Owner, Watkins Karate. (At one time the largest karate school in Kentucky with 318 students.)
- Former member of the Board of Directors (elected by the church body, 3000 plus members)
- Former Sunday School Teacher
- Former member of First Baptist Church of Paducah for 10 Years. Served on various committees & rotated offertory prayer.
- Member of the Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce for over 25 years
- Member of Gideon’s International
- Member of Paducah Downtown Lions Club for 22 years
- Member of the Community Scholarship Board for 2 years
- Member of the McCracken County Poverty Task Force for several years
- Member of the Reidland High School 21st Century Community Learning Center Advisory Council
- “Men Who Cook” Volunteer for Purchase Area Sexual Assault Center for several years
- Member of Leadership Paducah Alumni Association for several years
- Member of the 1996-1997 Class of Leadership Paducah
- Volunteer for the Empty Bowls Project 2012
- “Christmas in April” Volunteer several years
- Served on the Advisory Board of the Oscar Cross Boys and Girls Club
- Board of Directors of the River City Missions
- Served as Paducah Ambassador
- United Way Volunteer
- American Heart Fund Volunteer
- Team Captain for March of Dimes Walk-A-Thon
- PAVE Volunteer for Paducah Public School System
- County Chairman for the Cystic Fibrosis Shape-UP Campaign
- Steering Committee for the Paducah/McCracken Citizens Against Substance Abuse
- Public Relations Committee of the Paducah/McCracken Literacy Council
- Murray State University Alumni Association
- Team Captain for Friends of Scouting (a fundraising arm for the 4-Rivers District Scout Council)
- Salvation Army Bell Ringer
- Volunteer Self-Defense instructor for Rape Crisis Center
- Lunch Buddy Mentor Volunteer at Hendron-Lone Oak Elementary
- Judge for 4-H Public Speaking Championships for McCracken County
- Volunteer for the American Cancer Society
- Volunteer for the American Lung Association
- Paducah Board of Realtors
- “Friends of Paducah/McCracken Co. Public Library” Volunteer
- Paducah Cooperative Ministry Food Drive Volunteer